Motion 35xti amplifier suggestions

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ian_knight

Reaction score
Hi,
Has anyone got suggestions for what type of amplifier suits the Motion 35 xti speakers please?.
I do listen to large orchestral works at reasonable levels.... 95db average sustained peaks. My NAD C368 might be running out of steam as the sound gets harsh and gritty / compressed when pushed. I read that the speakers are designed for high power.

Thanks in advance.
Cheers Ian.

Tough one, I have 3 pairs of XT35's and I am driving them with Purifi 1ET400 modules from Audiophonics [you get similar from I think is called Nord Audio? in UK]. This is tons of cheap watts or you can choose something with HYPEX Ncore modules, this is even more accessible.

But before you blame the amp -> I also listen to lot of, albeit surround orchestral music and I hear the similar coming from my XT35 that serve as 6 surrounds.

XT35's are voiced on the bright side and on their compression limit which starts to set in relatively early around 86dB [and with music you listen to it is not unusual to reach that levels in more expressive parts]. Woofer gets into compression [plays quieter] tweeter into distortion [plays louder], which is similar to what you experience. So it really might be more of a speaker issue than amp.

What now? Try to listen in nearfield - 1.5-1.8m away from the speakers, this works wonders for perceived loudness. No idea what the rest of your rig is - but it would makes sense to use some EQ SW/HW to tame the brightness of the speakers.

Good luck

https://www.musicalfidelity.com/products/a1/a1-2

This amp operates using best sounding circuit topology. Because of low wattage priced somewhat reasonably. Just my subjective opinion, speakers do not need high power. This amp has greater than enough power to drive 35XTi.

I do not know whether it matches with Motion 35XTi. Inquire from your local ML dealer regarding suitability. Or you can physically take speakers to a Musical Fidelity dealer.

Last edited:
Tough one, I have 3 pairs of XT35's and I am driving them with Purifi 1ET400 modules from Audiophonics [you get similar from I think is called Nord Audio? in UK]. This is tons of cheap watts or you can choose something with HYPEX Ncore modules, this is even more accessible.

But before you blame the amp -> I also listen to lot of, albeit surround orchestral music and I hear the similar coming from my XT35 that serve as 6 surrounds.

XT35's are voiced on the bright side and on their compression limit which starts to set in relatively early around 86dB [and with music you listen to it is not unusual to reach that levels in more expressive parts]. Woofer gets into compression [plays quieter] tweeter into distortion [plays louder], which is similar to what you experience. So it really might be more of a speaker issue than amp.

What now? Try to listen in nearfield - 1.5-1.8m away from the speakers, this works wonders for perceived loudness. No idea what the rest of your rig is - but it would makes sense to use some EQ SW/HW to tame the brightness of the speakers.

Good luck
Hi, thanks for a great reply.

Its good to read your description, that is exactly what I am experiening.
I guess I was expecting more output before compresion and distortion is heard.
It is always the orrchestral recordings that show up the limitations. For example Shostaakovitch symphony No. 10
Petrenko and the Royal Philharmonic on Flac Hires and normal CD versions always shows up the HF limitations of a speaker.
The massed 1st violins really start to set of pretty bad paper over comb artifacts at around 85db.
Anyway, I will also take on board your suggestions.
Considering that the blurb I read on the ML website about the drivers being made for high volume it is a bit dissapointing as some
of my previous speakers didnt seem to have this.
BTW, I am using a NAD C368 hybrid (Hypex based) amplifier with BLU OS streamer module and Marantz CD6007.
Thanks so much for your detailed and helpful reply.
Cheers Ian.

Latest posts

Back